I want to rent a room or have a lodger

If you have a bedroom that is not required by your household you may wish to rent it out.  You will need to get permission from us first
Use this service for renting a room or have a lodger.
  • A lodger: someone who has their own room, but you can still go into the room. They will share your home’s communal areas such as the bathroom and kitchen. This arrangement is usually in return for a payment.  
Lodgers do not have any MTVH tenancy rights.  

Things to think about first

  • Is renting a room right for you. If you are struggling to pay your rent. There may be other options to increase your income. See what other services we have to help you
  • Check your Tenancy Agreement allows you to rent out a room in your property. If you have a starter or introductory tenancy you cannot have a lodger or rent a room in the first 12 months.
  • You must not create a situation of overcrowding. The spare room must be in addition to what your household members need. As an example, you have a three bedroom property. Your household is made up of a married couple and one child using two bedrooms. The third bedroom is spare. 
  • You must continue to live in the property as your main and only home. As a tenant, you cannot rent out your whole property to someone else.
  • Someone new will be living in your home. Be sure you are happy with someone moving into your home, especially strangers. Citizens Advice also has helpful information and guidance on taking in a lodger. If you feel pressured about taking in a lodger please see our FAQs for more guidance
  • The impact on your personal finances. An extra person in the household may increase the amount you spend on things like council tax, gas, electricity, and water.
  • Changes to benefits and Universal Credit. If you claim benefits, you also need to tell the relevant authorities as it may affect what you can claim. You can find advice on Gov.uk – Being a landlord and renting out a room  
  • You will have responsibilities. We advise you to set up a formal agreement with the lodger. You will be responsible for their behaviour and meet the terms of your tenancy. See Citizens Advice on the rights and responsibilities of the lodger.

Before you start

  • You must be the named tenant on your tenancy agreement
  • You will need to provide your contact details
  • You will need details of anyone who is currently living at the property. This includes name, date of birth, and relationship to the tenant
  • The name and contact details of the person who will rent the room
  • You will need to have checked the person has the right to rent
  • You will need to provide details about the room rental. Including which room, the length of time, and the rental amount

What happens next  

  • We’ll check we have everything we need to continue  
  • If we need any further information we will contact you
  • We check the tenancy agreement, property type, and size
  • We will check for any breaches of tenancy
  • We will write to you to tell you the outcome of your application