Thank you for getting in touch about your noise issue.

Your neighbour may not be aware they are disturbing you. As a first step, we ask you to have a polite conversation with your neighbour.

What you need to do next   

1. Talk to your neighbour. We encourage starting a polite chat with your neighbour. They may not be aware that they are disturbing you. We would expect you to attempt to resolve any issues yourself before involving us. Guidance on how to approach your neighbour. 


2. Evidence it’s happening. Wwill need to see this evidence if you need to report later. We will need to understand the seriousness and number of the events. What the impact that their behaviour is having on you and others. 

  •  Use NoiseApp
    Use the NoiseApp to make note of each noise you hear. It works by saving sound recordings so that they are available to review by your chosen organisation. This can be your Local Authority, if they are a member, or ‘Metropolitan’ (which is us). 


  • Keep a Diary
    Write down a note of each noise you hear. We have tips and templates you can use to help you do this. Your Local Authority can use these if you approach them. We will also expect you to share these if required. 


3. Contact Local Authority. Often, your Local Authority has more power to determine what is legally a noise nuisance. Many Local Authorities have the equipment and authority to measure the noise to verify the level of noise nuisance. Some also accept your NoiseApp notes as evidence. If your Local Authority verifies your noise issues, we can help support you to a resolution. You can go to your local authority and then find the section for the Environmental health team. 


Other ways we can help. 

If you have personal reasons that mean you can’t speak to your neighbour, we can offer support. Relationships are an important part of living in a community. They give everyone a chance to live well. As a resident, we can help with confidential, one to one support. Our Empowering Futures team can support you to address the issues that may need. 

Our helpful tips and tools might be all you need. 

Back to start

Support services

Although this is not defined as anti-social behaviour we want you to feel safe and secure around your home and to live well. As a social landlord MTVH provide support services that may be able to assist you. Find out more.

Concerns for the safety and welfare of others

If there are concerns for the safety and welfare of others, please contact the relevant agencies listed. If you believe someone is in immediate danger or there is criminal activity contact the police. Call 999 in an emergency or 101 non-emergencies.