Remove someone from your Tenancy Agreement
The tenancy agreement is a contract between you and MTVH. The agreement can also be a joint tenancy between two people and MTVH. It is a written document which is signed at the beginning of a tenancy. It sets out your rights and responsibilities. As it’s a legal document, you should keep it safe for future reference.
Everyone named on the tenancy agreement is responsible for paying the rent and abiding by the tenancy conditions. If one tenant breaks the agreement, named tenants will be held responsible. All tenants have the same rights to live at the property.
If you want to apply to take over the tenancy due to the death you will need to use the reporting death and taking over a tenancy service.
Use this service to:
- Remove a tenant from a tenancy agreement.
Before you start
Agreement signed from the other tenant
- You will need to upload a signed letter or Agreement to proceed Form (PDF). We need to ensure that both tenants agree to proceed with the application. We need the details of who is staying at the property and wants the tenancy in their name.
- We recommend that you seek independent legal advice before completing the form.
- You must be the tenant on your tenancy agreement to apply
- You will need to provide details of household members remaining in the property. We will need the names, date of birth, and the relationship to the tenant.
- You will need to upload the signed letter or Agreement to proceed Form.
Assess the application
- We’ll check there are no court orders or tenancy breaches including rent arrears.
- We will consider the suitability of the property for the remaining tenant’s household.
- You will need to prepare income and spending details using the Affordability Check Form and will be notified after you have submitted the application. You can get started and download the Affordability Check Form (Spreadsheet) now.
- We ask to see photo identity and proof of residency at the property. Proof of Identity and resident at the address we accept.
Check the property
- Before we complete the application, we will arrange an inspection of your property. This is to check the property is how it should be.
New tenancy agreement
- If approved, we will write to you providing you with an end of tenancy form to complete. At the end of the joint tenancy, we will sign a new sole tenancy with the tenant remaining at the property.
This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.